Friday, January 11, 2008

Sequel to a lesser known love affair...

Kenix has been in the entertainment industry since 1993 and has filmed many TV series. My all-time favourite Kenix role is Jessie from the classic Detective Investigation Files series. I think Jessie 高婕 will always be my favourite (a very sentimental favourite). Back in 1995 I truly fell in love with Jessie – both her qualities and flaws – and as a result began a new hobby called Kenix Kwok. This ‘hobby’ has continued from high school to university to working life. I guess it wasn’t a phase, and I probably will never grow out of it…

Naturally I love Kenix’s other roles too. However I like most of them equally and it would be extremely difficult for me to rank my favourite Kenix roles. Oddly enough I do not have a favourite Kenix male co-star pairing. I can never pick one for some bizarre reason. I can never decide whether my favourite pairing is Kenix-Michael Tao or Kenix-Frankie Lam or Kenix-Julian Cheung or Kenix-Sunny Chan or Kenix-Joe Ma or … well the list goes on. BUT I do have a favourite male leading character in a Kenix TV series. However it is a bit of a left field choice. I think most fans would name their favourite male character as DIF’s Cheung Dai Yung (Michael Tao) or Remembrance’s Yam Hung Fei (Julian Cheung). I love Patrick Tam’s character in Seed of Hope – Nick Wu Lik Wang. I think I’m a bit infatuated with the character!



Credits to Patrick Tam's blog : http://blog.sina.com.cn/tanyaowen


I found Patrick’s Nick to be intriguing, charismatic and very sexy. I thought Patrick brought an air of complexity and mystery to his character, aided also by his tall dark looks. Plus he looked mighty fine in his suits!



The story between Kenix and Patrick in Seed of Hope was nothing original, but I was still drawn to their relationship. There’s always something romantic about two lonely hearts from very different worlds meeting and developing a unique connection and bond. They trusted each other and were able to share their darkest secrets – a sad, heartbreaking, and affectionless childhood, tainted by the betrayal from those who were meant to protect and love them.












I want to see how their relationship develops beyond the final scene of the series. I want to see how Kenix overcomes her childhood scars to truly let Patrick into her heart. I think we were only seeing the beginning of her ‘recovery’ towards the end of the series. I’m eager to see the rest of her journey. Seed of Hope is the only series I desperately want a sequel. Having said that I would not mind if they made sequels to Kenix’s other series (she of course has to be in it!). However the chance of a SOH2 is very, very unlikely – in other words it would never happen. Even though it had some interesting plots and raised some important social issues, it may be too slow pace and boring for some. Furthermore not many people remember the series and is probably one of the lesser known Kenix series. Thus the ‘love affair’ between Kenix and Patrick is unfortunately not rich in many people’s minds. But one of the positives to not having a TVB-produced sequel is you know that the love affair between the leading man and woman will last forever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this post ^__^

i have contradicting feelings about Seed of Hope. in general, i'm with others on the part that it's pretty slow and dull. however, as a Psychology major, i thought it was a great idea to produce a series that can raise those social issues. sometimes i even wonder if the producer just wanted to make people pay more attention to the neglected kids rather than making a series & hope it would be popular.

i love Kenix & Patrick in here, totally! it's a shame that the series did not show much of their love at all, but the last 1/3 of the series is sure sweet when Patrick starts to tell Kenix of his affection. i agree with you that even without the love sparks, they share a special bond of friendship. she confides with him her darkest secret and since knowing her, he found himself. i love how he always pays more attention to Kenix's affairs and pretty much neglect his own girlfriend ^__^

mtd said...

Thanks Michelle!

I love the part at the hospital, when Kenix loses her eyesight after the car accident with Anne Heung, and Patrick reveals to Kenix for the first time his love and feelings for her. It's so touching!